Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Recipe Hunting 101 - Hamburgers, gravy and fries...oh my!

When I came across this recipe, I was shocked at: 1. how simply brilliant it was, and 2. why it was I had never in my wildest dreams thought of mixing gravy and fries together before.  The pairing makes complete sense, we add gravy to potatoes all the time so why not fries?  After actually trying the combination I realized just what a complete travesty it was that for the last 35 years of my life I have only been dipping my fries in ketchup or ranch dressing or, occasionally, melted cheese.  I feel like I have been cheated and will now have to remedy the matter for the next 35+ years, if my arteries can stand it that is!

Hamburgers, gravy and fries - recipe adapted from alishagibb on Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
5 Tbsp flour
2 cups Beef Stock or Broth
1 bag of frozen french fries (I used Alexia brand)

Directions:
1.  Cook fries as directed on the packaging.
2.  Mix ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Form 4 large flattened patties.  Cook the burgers on a skillet under medium heat until done to your preference.  Remove burgers and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
3.  Whisk the flour, a tablespoon at a time, in the grease leftover in your skillet. You have enough flour when the grease is all absorbed and the mixture is bubbly and thick.  Add the beef stock, a little at a time, whisking constantly.  Allow the gravy mixture to simmer until thickened. 
4.  Serve the hamburger on top of the fries, generously smothered in gravy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment