Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Coleslaw - Hawaiian style

Coleslaw is one of those dishes that I always try a couple of bites of if it is served, and while most of the time I don't care for it much at all, some of the time I come across one that I actually enjoy.  I think most people either love it or hate it.  I think I fall in a smaller category of "it all depends".   I have found I like the sweeter coleslaws.  The kinds with fruit in them.  This weekend I had the urge to try and make one that I would like.  I don't really know why this urge presented itself.  It is kind if an odd urge.  Maybe it's because it is summer and one thinks of picnic's during the summer time and for some reason coleslaw is always a dish one finds at picnic's. Whatever popped the idea into my head,  I did a search for coleslaw recipe's with Pineapple in them, found one that looked promising, went to the grocery store, bought all the ingredients and crossed my fingers.  My first tasting was...eh...I tossed it in the fridge and waited a few hours before trying it again and this definitely helped a lot with bringing out the sweetness from the added fruits in the dish.  I would make this one again sometime. 

Hawiian Coleslaw - adapted from recipe found on www.mom-mom.com

Ingredients:
4 cups shredded green cabbage
1 11oz can mandarin oranges, drained and reserve some juice
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp orange juice
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup mayo
Dash of sugar

Directions:
1. Put cabbage in a large bowl. Add salt, nutmeg and ginger and toss.
2. Add orange juice and pepper, toss.
3. Add mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple, toss well.
4. In a small bowl add mayo and about a tbsp reserved mandarin orange juice, or until it reaches the desired consistency.  Add a dash of sugar, or more if you really want it sweet, but remember the fruit will help sweeten the mixture. 
5. Add the mayo mixture to the cabbage.  Mix well and allow to sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment