Search This Blog

Friday, November 26, 2010

Recipe Hunting 101 - Chocolate Pecan Pie

I was not sure if I would post my attempt at making a pecan pie because it didn't turn out perfect, which sort of bummed me out  However, on further reflection, I realized that my photo of it looks pretty darn awesome. Just looking at it, no one would know that the center was a tad on the runny side.  I took the pie out a tad too early from the oven. You see, I saw the center was still jiggly when I removed it but I decided to remove it because the crust and top was nice and brown, I didn't want it to burn, and I didn't think it was supposed to be a solid, firm pie but nice and soft.  I also figured it would set up a little bit more after it cooled.  Well, it didn't.  I won't call it a fail though.  It was still delicious and it would be very tasty on top of some ice cream!  

I am planning on making another one, I used chocolate chips in this one and my husband doesn't like chocolate much.  I could see he was disappointed, as pecan pies are one of his favorite (minus the chocolate).  I am convinced that my second attempt at this pie will be complete and utter perfection! :^)

Chocolate Pecan Pie - recipe adapted from Woman's Day

Ingredients:
1 packaged, ready to bake, pie crust
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tbsp butter, melted
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups pecan halves, 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1.  Lightly flour both sides of your pie crust and fit it to a 9 inch pie plate.  Crimp your edges.  Add the chocolate chips to the bottom of the crust and spread out evenly.
2,  In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar, eggs, corn syrup, butter, chopped pecans, vanilla and salt. 
3.  Pour your batter into the pie crust.  Arrange the pecan halves over the top. 
4. Bake at 350F on center rack for 55-60 minutes or until the center is set.  If the crust starts getting to brown, place foil around the edges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment