Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Recipe Hunting 101 - Fried Green Tomatoes

Ever since I read the book "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg, I have wanted to try a fried green tomato.  Living in the Midwest, it is not a dish you find on a menu when eating out.  It is also something you don't find in the grocery store.  In fact, I don't recall ever seeing green tomatoes in the produce aisles in my life, well, at least I didn't see them this year, the only year I have actually looked for them.  Earlier this summer, I was talking to my Supervisor about my desire to find a green tomato so I could make fried green tomatoes.  She actually has a garden and grows tomatoes so she told me she would give me some when they grew.  Imagine my surprise when this past Friday, the first week of NOVEMBER, she gave me a bag of green tomatoes.  I was shocked, as most tomatoes have come and gone quite awhile ago, but Sherry seemed to have a slow growing tomato plant in her yard this year. 

All I needed now was a recipe.  I love reading, I love books and so my bookself is crammed full of books and even though it has been a good 10 years since I read  "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe", I still have my copy in my bookshelf. I was hoping beyond hope that a recipe would be in this book and I wasn't disappointed.  There were actually two different ways you could prepare the tomatoes for frying in the very back of the book.  I chose the one that looked the easiest as it is pretty early in the morning and I didn't want to do too much work in preparing my breakfast! I served mine on top of a piece of toast and a couple of slices of bacon.  Mmmm!!!!!

Fried Green Tomatoes - recipe from "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg

Ingredients:
2 Green Tomatoes
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup of Corn Meal
bacon drippings, enough to coat the bottom of your skillet

Directions:
1.  Slice the tomatoes about a 1/4 inch thick.
2.  Salt and Pepper each side of the tomato.
3.  In a shallow bowl, add the corn meal and coat each tomato.
4.  In a skillet, heat the bacon grease hot enough so it sizzles when you add the tomatoes.  Fry each side about a minute, until they are golden brown.  Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment