Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Let's go to the Waffle House

Unfortunately, we don't have a Waffle House in my city (Oh-no, say it isn't so!), so when my husband started digging around the freezer in an attempt to find a box of frozen waffles and having no success, I was hit with a brilliant idea.  How about I find a good waffle recipe and make him homemade waffles!

Never having made waffles, but having a waffle maker in the far reaches of my cupboards (thanks, whoever got us that waffle maker for our wedding all those years ago, lol), I pulled that puppy out and blew off the layer of dust.  I was now fully prepared to make me some homemade waffles.

Oh, wait....now I needed to find a recipe and preferably one in which all ingredients were front and center in my kitchen cupboards.  Lo and behold, I found a fun site with the perfect recipe:  it called for oatmeal.  My husband and I love oatmeal cookies and oatmeal cake, so this was "the ONE" to try.

Oatmeal Waffles adapted from waffle-recipe.com


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs – slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Wow that is a lot of butter, lol!

Directions:
1. In a large bowl sift in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
2. Stir in the oatmeal until well mixed. 
3. In a small bowl mix eggs, milk, butter and brown sugar until all blended together.
4. Add the liquids to the flour mixutre and blend until smooth.
6. Pour the batter*** on the preheated, greased waffle maker. Don't open until finished cooking.  Check your waffle maker's instruction book for information on baking times.
***I used about a 1/3 of a cup per waffle using my waffle iron, it may differ for you.

My finished product, which having never made waffles in my life before, was pretty darn impressive to me.  I thought for sure I would either burn or undercook these things.  I probably left them in my cooker about a minute or so.  I think my waffle iron is supposed to light up when it is ready but the little lights were just confusing me, so I guess-timated it. 




I warmed up my maple syrup and drenched my waffle in it and dug right on in, I didn't add butter because of the insane amount of butter that is added into the batter already.  They were delightful!  I enjoyed each and everybite.  My mind conjured up lots of ways to spice these up, i.e. chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins would even be good, for the next time I made em, because there will be a next time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment