Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Feelin' hot, hot, hot!"

I woke up this morning and groaned after looking outside and seeing another 4 inches of snow on the ground to contend with.  Shovel in hand, I ventured out into the arctic cold, letting my husband sleep in.  It was the big fluffy kind of snow that is really easy to deal with, but what I didn't think about until my first heaping shovel load was where I was going to put it all!!!  We have snow drifts that are four feet tall in some places taking up the space, on all sides, up and down our walkways from our big blizzard a week ago.  The plus in all this was I was going to get in that workout today whether I liked it or not!

Over an hour later, chilled to the bone, I finished flinging my last scoopful of snow into the yard and headed back inside, dreaming of going to south for the winter.  Unfortunately, this is a dream that will have to wait about twenty odd years, after my husband and I retire!!!   In the meantime, I can make a lunch that will have us thinking of heading south, into Mexico!!! 

I mentioned in a previous post that my husband is a salsa addict and taking this into consideration I was eager to whip some up for him to try.  I also decided to make Chicken Enchilada's as well, using a recipe I got from a Campbell's ad! :^) 


The Chicken Enchilada recipe was simple and something I found while clipping coupons one morning about a week ago.  I have actually already made these, last weekend, but will include the recipe as a link
Campbell's Easy Chicken& Cheese Enchilada

The salsa recipe hunt was kind of an overwhelming mess. I found pages and pages of recipes on many different websites that I sorted through.  Some said to use vinegar, some said to use lemon juice, some said lime juice...ahhhh!!!  I just didn't know which one would taste the best. 

Not to be detered I took decided to take bits out of many of the different recipes that I had looked out and make my own version.  Please bear with me on this one.  I just threw some stuff in that I thought would work, lol!!!

"Boy I hope this tastes right" Salsa:

28 oz can of whole tomatoes, hold on to about a cup of juice and mix in after blending
4 oz can of chopped green peppers
4 oz can of chopped jalapeno
1 clove of garlic
small onion  (I didn't have an onion and left this out but would add it next time)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Vinegar (I used red wine vinegar, cider vinegar or balsalmic would be good though, I think...)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (unless you really like lemon, you may want to add a bit less or try lime juice)
Add to your taste preferences:
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
-Throw everything into a food processor and blend until everything is mixed together. 


The salsa was good, although honestly not my favorite salsa ever.  It was really mild and even with my addition of the jalapeno's and red pepper flakes it still was not as hot as I would have liked it.  I also would go easy on the lemon and tomato juice next time as it may have been a bit too much.  All in all, it wasn't an epic fail but I'll do a bit more recipe digging and try it again sometime in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment