Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kale Chips

I have been seeing a lot of chatter about kale lately.  The blogoshere is all abuzz about this leafy green veggie.  I know it isn't just me, because yesterday I was catching up on my DVR episodes of Modern Family and Mitchell tells Cameron that kale is the next spinach.  If it made it on Modern Family, it most undoubtedly has to be true.  In case you want to read more about this new trend in food, I found a good article from the NY Post that you can read about it and where they also seem to watch Modern Family and refer to the same episode here: http://www.nypost.com/p/lifestyle/food/green_is_good_xKxoo2BW3Mmd0CQuvp6BeI  It sounds as if it is even starting to pop up on restaurant menu's in New York City.  I have yet to see it on the menu at any of the Midwestern restaurants that I frequent but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

Kale as a chip sounds really, really strange but it has been receiving so many raving reviews that I just couldn't pass up giving it a whirl.  The final verdict: these will definitely satisfy the need to munch on something with some saltiness and crunch to it.  There is a tiny bit of a bitterness to them but all in all I enjoyed them.  My husband, however, took one bite and declared them to be weird. 

Kale Chips - recipe found on Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1.  Wash and dry kale.  Cut and remove stem and large ribs from the leaves.  Cut leaves into large pieces, toss in a large bowl with olive oil and sea salt.
2.  Place kale on a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 300F oven for 20 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment