Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Irish Cream Chocolate Brownies with Irish Cream Frosting

I have had a little obsession with Bailey's Irish Cream the last few months.  Well, more specifically, I have had a thing for Hot Cocoa spiked with Bailey's.  Mmm....mmm, those have got to be the absolute BEST drinks to warm one up on a cold winter night.  They just make one feel warm and fuzzy all over, making it really easy to forget the cold wind swirling around for a little while.  I am extremely happy that the Spring is slowly but surely on it's way and my hot cocoa nights will be over until next year (note to self, find recipe for iced hot cocoa drink), but I am still really fond of my Bailey's and not quite ready to put it away just yet.  So, it was like serendipity when just before St. Patrick's Day, I received an email from BettyCrocker.com with a recipe for Irish Cream brownies.  I was excited.  I was really, really excited!  I went on a search for a similar recipe but instead of using a box brownie mix, I wanted one that I could make from scratch. There were tons of recipes, all of them looked good so I spent a little time trying to determine which one would be the best.  I think I got it right too!  These brownies are so delicious.  The Irish Cream isn't overpowering but gives it a hint of specialness, that takes them over the top.  I did decide to stick to the frosting recipe that was a part of the the Betty Crocker brownie recipe.  I am always partial to buttercream frosting, and the touch of Bailey's in it, takes it up a notch, giving it a hint of sophistication.  My husband tells me the new trend in desserts are mini desserts that you can eat in a few bites.  I would highly recommend being trendy with this dessert.  They are really, really rich. You won't need but a few bites at once, and if you so desire, you can always go back for more later!

Irish Cream Chocolate Brownies with Irish Buttercream Frosting - recipe from bakingbites.com  and BettyCrocker.com

Brownie Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
Frosting Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp Bailey's Irish Cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp whole milk

Directions:
1.  Melt butter in small saucepan under low heat.  Take off heat and whisk in sugar and cocoa powder.  Mix well and set aside to cool to room temperature then whisk in the vanilla and egg.
2.  In a large bowl, blend flour, baking soda and salt.  Add cocoa mixture and Bailey's.  Beat on medium speed until flour is all incorporated.
3.  Line a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with aluminum foil that is lightly greased.  Pour in brownie batter and bake at 350F for 22-26 minutes.  Allow to cool to room temperature before frosting.

For Frosting:
1.  Add softened butter, powdered sugar, Bailey's, vanilla and milk to a medium size bowl.  Beat at high speed until smooth and spreadable.

No comments:

Post a Comment