Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Spinach Ricotta Manicotti

Last week, I seemed to lose my kitchenista mojo.  Plain and simply, I didn't want to cook.  I came very close one day.  I had planned on making broccoli cheddar soup.  I started to pull out ingredients, set them on the counter, stood and looked at them, decided it was to much work so I put everything away and had cereal for dinner.   The rest of the week, my husband and I ate frozen foods and sandwiches.  The thing was, even though I didn't feel at all like cooking, eating this way bored me yet I still couldn't find the motivation to re-take control of my kitchen. 

Today, I had an idea that I thought just might help me out.  If I could have some help getting started, some way to hoist me up over that hurdle, I may be able to take things from there.  I texted my husband, asking him to have a large pot of water boiling on the stove for me when I get home.  It turned out to be as simple as that.  I got home and went right to work.  I don't know if my mojo is exactly back, but tonight we had an extremely tasty dinner.

Spinach Ricotta Manicotti - recipe modified from Everyday Food

Ingredients:
8 Manicotti Shells
15 oz Ricotta cheese
1 cup Kraft shredded Parmesan, Romano & Asiago cheese
1 tsp lemon zest
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups Marinara (I used Newman's)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt, pepper to taste

 Directions:
1.  Cook pasta according to directions.  Store on a rimmed baking sheet, greased with a bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking. 
2.  In a large bowl, mix ricotta, lemon zest, 1/2 cup cheese and spinach, season with salt and pepper.  Place mixture in a large ziplock bag, cutting the tip on one of the corners off so you can easily pipe the mixture into each manicotti shell.  (I still tore some of my shells as you can see in my photo, but such is life. It's all good)
3.  Place the filled manicotti in a 8 inch glass baking dish.  Mix the marinara, heavy cream, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes in you mixing bowl and pour over the manicott, covering the manicotti completely.  Cover with the remaining cheese.
4. Bake at 375F, for 30 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment