Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Recipe Hunting 101 - Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Before I get into today's post I want to say that I am so proud my 2010 New Years Resolution was a complete success!  I had a great time searching for tasty recipes, discovering some amazing blogs, and actually making use of my kitchen on a regular basis.  I fully intend to continue my culinary adventure in 2011.  I am having too much fun to stop now.

One of my favorite places to grab a sandwich and soup is at Panera Bread.  There bread is just amazing, and their soup is simply to die for.  My particular favorite is Broccoli Cheddar.  I was craving some the other day and decided I might as well give it a go myself.  My husband and I gobbled this soup right up.  It was super rich and creamy and wonderfully tasty!!!

Broccoli Cheddar Soup - recipe adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
1/2 small onion, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt, to taste
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( I used Kraft's Triple Cheddar)
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
2 cups milk (I used whole milk)
2-1/2-3 cups chopped broccoli, steamed

Directions:
1.  Steam the broccoli and set it aside.
2.  In a small saucepan, cook the chicken soup and onion on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the onions are soft. 
3.  Melt the butter in a medium saucepan under low heat, add flour and pepper and whisk together.  Allow to cook for a 1-2 minutes then add milk.  Increase heat to medium-high and allow mixture to thicken up. 
4. Sitr in chicken broth until thoroughly combined.  Add cheeses and mix well. Add salt to taste, then stir in the broccoli and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment