Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mexican Goulash and Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Glaze

I have noticed that this past month or so, I have been really having a hard time working in my kitchen.  I am not entirely sure why.  Maybe it's that I am mid-way to my goal and I just hit a slump or it could be the fact that it is so darn, miserably hot outside that I just don't want to spend a heck of a lot of time working in a hot kitchen.  It's more likely a combination of both that's left me less then enthused in my recipe hunting endeavors. 

Thankfully, this past week, I managed to find my second wind.  Recipes seemed to be literally throwing themselves my way, screaming "Try Me, Try Me!"  The weather even promised to take a turn for the better, bringing us some relief in a bit of a cool down.  I actually managed to get outside and work in my yard this morning, tackling my weed ridden flower beds with a vengence!  I was so ready to get back in my kitchen and cook that I even decided to make a yummy dessert to go with our dinner tonight.  The Mexican Goulash is reminiscent of all the Hamburger Helper meals I have made over the years and I was inspired to find and make the Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Glaze from a menu item I saw at a local cupcake joint.  The Mexican Goulash was really good.  It was very much like Hamburger Helper only better.  I really, really loved the lime glaze on the cupcakes.  OMG....it was wonderful.  The coconut cupcakes were yummy, they weren't overly sweet at all but I might try adding a touch of lime to those as well next time but maybe not.  The second cupcake of the day seemed even yummier then the first one.  Pure deliciousness!!! 
Mexican Goulash -adapted from Betty Crocker

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 jar (16 oz) mild salsa
1 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 


Directions:
1. In large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked, then drain off the grease and return beef to skillet.
2. Add the salsa, tomato sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and water. Heat to boiling.
3. Stir in macaroni and corn. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is al dente.
3.Sprinkle the cheddar over the top of the dish. Cover; let sit a few minutes until cheese is melted.

Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Glaze -adapted from the blog, A Good Appetite

Cupcake Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 large egg whites
4 Tbsp shredded sweetened coconut

Directions: 
1.  In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy.  Add vanilla.
2.  Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.  Add 1/2 flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix on low setting. 
3.  Add coconut milk and mix well, then add the rest of the flour mixture. 
4.  In another small bowl, beat egg whites on high setting until stiff peaks from.  Fold 1/2 mixture into the cupcake batter until combined. 
5.  Fold in the coconut and the rest of the egg white mixture until well combined.
6.  Fill 6 cupcake tins half full of the batter and bake 20-25 minutes at 350C. 
7.  Allow cupcakes to cool before drizzling with the glaze.

Lime Glaze Ingredients:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lime juice
zest from half a lime
1-2 Tbsn milk

Directions:
1.  Whisk the sugar, lime juice and zest until combined. 
2.  Add milk until you get the desired consistency of the glaze. 
3.  Drizzle glaze over each cupcake.  Glaze will harden up after it sits a bit.
4.  Store in the fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment