Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eggplant Caviar

When I was in Colorado a few weeks ago, my husband and I wandered into a little Mediterranean grill.  I tried falafel for the very first time in my life and I tried this spread called Baba Ghanooj.  I had high hopes for it since, one, we used to call my Grandpa Baba and two, it is made from eggplants which I love but it was just way too strong for my liking. This past week I saw a post on Yum Sugar for an eggplant spread and decided I had to give it a try.  I am officially addicted.  My entire lunch this morning was a toasted french baguette smeared with the eggplant caviar.  Yum Sugar posted that this spread is even better the second day.  I can't wait, cause I just love it.  I think it is a lot like a hummus, it is mild and simply wonderful on bread.  I think it would even be great as a sandwhich spread with chicken or turkey. You can play with the spices and herbs you add to it.  I decided to be cautious with my additions for my first go at it.  I thought I might try adding some sun-dried tomatoes to it next time, doesn't that sound yummy?  I am so excited this dish is so darn good and also really healthy.

Eggplant Caviar -adapted from recipe by David Lebovitz which I found on Yum Sugar

Ingredients:
2 good sized eggplants
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a bit to oil the baking sheet and baguette
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp Italian parsley
French baguette, sliced up

Directions:
1.  Cut eggplant in half, lengthwise.  Brush a backing sheet with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Place eggplant cut side down on the baking sheet and bake at 400C for 30 minutes or until the skin is wilted and the pulp soft.
2.  Allow eggplant to cool, then scoop out all the pulp from the inside and place in a food processor.  Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and parsley.  Blend until smooth.  Taste and add any additional spices you feel it needs.
3.  Keep in the fridge for up to five days and remember it supposed to be even better the second day you make it! 
4.  Brush baguette slices with olive oil and place in 400C oven for 7 minutes.  Turn on broiler and leave them another minute or until tops are golden. Allow to cool then add eggplant caviar and let your taste buds thank you for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment