Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Watermelon and Feta Salad

Summertime has kind of left me wanting to stay the heck out of the kitchen.  It is just so hot outside, I have little desire to slave over hot dishes for the next few weeks, at least until the hottest days of the summer are over with.  I am so eager for the crisp, cool days of the fall, to wrap myself up in warm, cozy sweaters, watch Husker football with my hubby, eat some candy corn and bake me some pumpkin pie!  In the meantime,  I have decided to keep things simple and make a few no fuss, no cook kinds of dishes for my next couple posts.

Recently, my husband and I spent a couple days in Colorado.  We explored a few towns, did some shopping and most importantly, ate.  I love going out for dinner where people make the food for me, lol, so we ate a lot!  At one little Italian restaurant, I had a salad that was beyond delicious.  It was a very simple salad with cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and arugula.  What made it amazing was the salad dressing.  Mmmmm, it was so darn good I am salivating just thinking about it.  Unfortunately, I am not the type of person who can taste something and automatically deduce the recipe.  Darn it!!!  All in all, it did get me thinking that I would really like to experiment more with making my own salad dressings, instead of sticking to my usual, ho-hum bottle of ranch dressing.  Oddly enough, Woman's Day must have thought it was a great idea too, for today in my mailbox was the salad recipe I made for dinner tonight.  The sweetness of the watermelon mixed with the tart and sour feta and lime vinaigrette made for a really great flavor combination which I thoroughly enjoyed! 

Watermelon & Feta Salad - adapted from Woman's Day

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
3 cups baby spinach
3 oz feta cheese crumbles

Directions:
1.  Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2.  In a large bowl add spinach, watermelon and feta cheese and dressing,  Toss to coat and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment