Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Recipe Hunting 101 - Candy Corn Ice Cream

There is a local cupcake company, Jones Bros Cupcakes, who have this crazy, amazing deal everyday if you "like" them on Facebook.  They will make a special cupcake everyday, that is not on their regular menu, post it on FB and if you ask for it by name, you get it for free.  I am extremely glad my office is not close enough that I can actually do this everyday because if I could, I would.  Their cupcakes are really, really awesome!!  Last month, they made a candy corn cupcake for their free cupcake of the day.  I about died when I saw this on my FB feed.  I immediately called my Mom, who is a candy corn connoissuer like me, and we oohhed and ahhed over how amazing this cupcake would be.  Unfortunately, neither of us could actually get to Jones Bros that specific day to actually try this genius idea of a cupcake.  :^(

Not to be deterred by this, I decided I would just make one myself.  I searched and searched, but all I came up with were candy corn inspired cupcakes that were just colored like a candy corn, which is all well and good, but I wanted it to taste like candy corn.  Thankfully, didn't come out of my search empty handed.  Sometimes one idea can lead to another and I ultimately found an interesting recipe for candy corn flavored ice cream.  Let me just tell you, if you are a candy corn lover, you will adore candy corn ice cream!!!


Ingredients:
13 oz Candy Corn (Brach's is my particular favorite brand)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk

Directions:
1.  Add 1 cup heavy cream and the candy corn to a medium sized saucepan.  Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the candy corn starts dissolving and breaking apart into little pieces.
2.  Take the saucepan off the heat and allow the mixture to come to room temp.
3.  Add the rest of your ingredients and transfer to an airtight container.  Refrigerate at least 12 hours. 
4.  Use a strainer to pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, you don't want any leftover bits of candy corn in your ice cream.
5.  Operate the ice cream maker using the manufacturer's directions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment